For Immediate Release (Warrenton, VA) - The Virginia Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus (VACVB), an association supporting destination marketing organizations and the development of tourism and travel professionals in Virginia, announced the winners of the 2012 VIRGO Awards at their Spring 2012 Meeting held in Hampton, Virginia on May 21 and 22.
The VIRGO Awards, now in their fourth year, celebrate the success of destination marketing organizations along with their respective staff members and volunteers. In describing the awards, VIRGO Program Chair Thersa Earles of Suffolk, Virginia, said “For the past four years, VACVB has been honoring the best and brightest tourism stars. A friendly competition among Virginia’s destination marketing organizations, the VIRGO Awards provide an excellent opportunity for statewide recognition, as well as peer assessment.“
The VIRGO Awards are split into 15 categories and 33 nominations were submitted for consideration this year. The awards are determined based on the quality of the submission, economic efficiency, quality, and the economic or community impact. The winners of the 2012 VIRGO Awards for their respective categories are listed below.
1. Advertising & Promotions: Broadcast: discoverLynchburg, “The Burg on TV in DC”
2. Advertising & Promotions: Combination: Hampton CVB, “This Is Hampton”
3. Advertising & Promotions: Interactive: Orange CVB, “Experience, Remember, Celebrate Orange County Via the Web”
4. Advertising & Promotions: Online & eMarketing: Visit Fairfax, “2011 Visit Fairfax Online Marketing Campaign”
5. Advertising & Promotions: Print: discoverLynchburg, “Meet Lynchburg”
6. Destination Event of the Year: Prince William CVB, “Reenactment of the Battle of 1st Manassas/Bull Run”
7. DMO "Rising Star" Leadership Award: Hampton CVB, “Bruce Newton - Rising Star”
8. Eco-Tourism: Suffolk Division of Tourism, “10th Annual Suffolk Swamp Roar Motorcycle Rally”
9. Heritage Tourism: Suffolk Division of Tourism, “Legends of Main St.: A Suffolk Ghost Walk”
10. International Marketing & Promotions: Visit Fairfax, “2011 Visit Fairfax International eMail Campaign”
11. Public Relations Initiative: discoverLynchburg, “The Excellence Express”
12. Regional Marketing Initiative: Coastal Virginia Tourism Alliance (CVTA), “Coastal Virginia Branding”
13. Sales Manager/Team of the Year: Chesapeake CVB, “Sales Manager of the Year - Janet T. Wenger”
14. Visitor Center of the Year: Suffolk Division of Tourism, “Suffolk Visitor Center & Pavilion”
15. Peer Selected “Best in Show”: Staunton CVB, “Love the Local Vibe”
“We continue to be impressed with the creativeness and high quality of projects that our tourism partners across Virginia develop each year. Judging is not easy because there are so many nominated projects that are worthy of a VIRGO Award,” said VACVB President Sergei Troubetzkoy from Bedford.
The Virginia Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus is a not-for profit 501(c)(6) membership organization made up of destination marketing organizations, visitor bureaus, and the companies that support them. Since it started in 1978, the organization has been promoting professionalism within the Virginia tourism industry and has worked on behalf of its members to make sure that tourism and travel continue to be strong economic drivers in the Commonwealth’s economy. For more information about VACVB please visit www.vacvb.com or contact the organization at +1 540 904-4710.